During the holidays, you have enough on your plate without having to worry about the safety of your home. These 10 tips can keep your home safe and secure, wherever your holiday travels take you.
1. Switch to thicker curtains for added privacy.
2. Let neighbors know you’ll be out of town so they can keep an eye out for suspicious activity.
3. Automate lights in your home, either through light timers or smart light switches that can be controlled remotely via smartphone or tablet.
4. If you have a landline, turn the phone ringer off, and silence voice message machines.
5. Put a hold on mail deliveries or subscriptions. A package sitting on a front step for days can be a target.
6. Lock vehicles and ensure no garage openers or house keys are left inside overnight.
7. Schedule lawn maintenance as normal to give the illusion that you’re home.
8. Check with your neighborhood watch or local police station to see if your home can be added to a vacant house list.
9. Add security cameras to your home’s interior and exterior.
10. Install a video doorbell or motion detector to keep an eye on any comings and goings.